Monday, October 24, 2011

Halloween Costumes For Less

So in today's blog, I'm going to cover a widely discussed and very timely aspect of fashion: Halloween costumes! And here's what Party City doesn't want you to know about Halloween costumes: they don't have to cost 70 dollars. In fact, with a few basics, a good makeup artist, some pieces you probably already own, and a couple accessories, you can look like a thousand bucks for under 40.

How do you put together a cute, cheap Halloween costume?
Here's how I created my "angel" costume using things I already owned and one set of accessories.
Creative Commons License
Angel Costume by Catherine Cotton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at picasaweb.google.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at https://picasaweb.google.com/108014830181637339043/October242011#5667281623661511794.



I created this costume by only spending 20 dollars, and using things I already owned. The dress is from American Apparel, it was 15 dollars. I would highly reccommend American Apparel to anyone shopping for a halloween costume, they have every kind of basic clothing item in every color imaginable, and neon everything. I'm wearing gold flip flops I've owned for years, a cross necklace I've had for a long time, and I only had to spend 20 dollars on the wings and halo. For the night of Halloween, I'll do white and glittery makeup all around my eyes to create that angelic effect.

Costumes like this can be made with relatively any idea in mind. Want to a butterfly, fairy, or any type of ladybug/bumblebee? Black basic tank top, any color skirt, and wings from a halloween store. Any solid color dress or skirt paired with a black top and accessories can make a multitude of costumes. Paying 70 dollars for a simple white dress isn't worth it when you can go to Target and get the same thing for much less.

The secret to Halloween costumes is this: accessories. Get the right accessories, and everyone will know what you are, even if you're outfit is basic.

No comments:

Post a Comment